Callatis colony was founded at the end of the 6th century BC on
the site of a Gete town named Acervetis or Cerbatis.
In the 4th century BC the city experienced a great economic, social
and political development. After a period of independent development,
Callatis, as the other pontic cities, had to accept the authority
of the Macedonian State until 281 BC after the death of Lysimaque.
After a long period of war against the Romans, it finally accepted
The abandonment of the city in the first decades of 7th century
AD was caused, mainly, by the attacks of the Slav Avares but also
by the disappearance of the
Danube border following the revolt of the centurion Phokas in 602
In terms of archaeological remains, the city today still has the
wall built during the late Roman period and in the North-East of
the city you can find the basilica Its is
composed of three parts: the basilica itself, the atrium and the
palace. It dates from the political century AD.
Between 1993 and 1994, the "Callatis" of Mangalia Museum
of Archaeology initiated, in the old hotel Scala area (now the President
Hotel), large scale excavations. On a surface area of 1000 square
metres, aspects of town planning dating from the Byzantine Roman
period were discovered pertaining to a district of the south of
he archaeological excavations conducted in 1993 in one of the
largest tumuli known as “the Documaci hill", lead to
the discovery of a large funerary complex.
Les ruins of the surrounding wall
The tomb of prince Documaci